Monday, July 14, 2014

New Beginnings...

We always joke that life comes at you fast, and as I have traversed through my twenties, I've realized just how true that is. As I approach my 30th birthday, I've been trying to make some major changes in my life. I'm all about new beginnings this year.



A big part of that new beginning, as some of you have already seen, was cutting my hair. Last night, I cut my 99 locs off. It was ... hard. Harder than I thought it'd be. It's always said, "I am not my hair," but when it comes down to it, your hair is indeed a part of you. It's part of your identity, your image, and how people remember you. 

I had been growing my hair for almost five years. I started in the fall of 2009, and locing my hair since Spring of 2010. Four years. It was definitely a journey. For anyone who has loc'd their hair, you develop a relationship with them. They get on your nerves, don't always act right, but you love them nonetheless. It takes so much patience and love to cultivate healthy and beautiful locs. And this was my second relationship with them.

For those that know me personally and follow me on Twitter, I've been thinking about cutting my hair for months now. I finally decided that it was time. I've always heard that hair holds energy, both positive and negatively. I firmly believe that. And it's interesting because since I cut them last night, I feel lighter. Lighter both literally and figuratively. It's...interesting. I feel relieved. New. Good. 




So this is me, anew. Big ass head and all. Ready for new beginnings. A fresh start. And I'm SO looking forward to it! 

30? I'll see you September 29, and we're gonna make it a good one. 


Be easy.




4 comments:

  1. The strength that it takes, to make that change
    to make just a decision, but then follow through...
    How proud I am of you... I never knew!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! It was definitely a process to get to that point. I had to definitively decide I'm doing it, and hurry and do it before I changed my mind. I have no regrets though!

      Delete