Thursday, August 22, 2013

Have Some Manners!

So I've been contemplating writing on shopping etiquette for some time. I've finally decided to drop just a few pointers you guys should take heed to when shopping. Since I have worked extensively in retail, I have definitely encountered all of these.


1. Money on the Counter
Do not...I repeat, DO NOT place your money on the counter when you go to pay for your items. It comes across as pompous and disrespectful, like the cashier isn't worthy enough for you to hand them your money. It becomes especially disrespectful when you toss the money on the counter. Often times, I have mimicked the person and tossed their money back on the counter. Hopefully they get the message.


2. The Customer is Not Always Right
In fact, most times the customer is dead wrong. If the worker tells you that this promotion means this, or that signage excludes that item, LISTEN. We are definitely saying it for a reason! And retail managers, if your associate has already debated something with a customer, don't come behind them and undercut what the associate has said by doing exactly as the customer asks. This will make your workers hate you.


3. GET. OFF. THE. PHONE.
I think coming to the register on the phone is possibly the MOST disrespectful thing you can do as a shopper. When I go to the register to purchase, I will simply place people on hold, or tell them I'll call right back. Often times the associate is trying to ask you something regarding your purchase or make a suggestion, and the consumer often looks at the associate like THEYVE been disrespected. No. Your attention should be on the transaction.


4. Don't be Rude
Just because you work in an office and I work on a sales floor doesn't make you any better than I. We both work for wages, have bills to pay, and work hard. Just because you consider a job beneath you doesn't mean you should treat the worker of that job negatively.


5. "Just Looking"
When asked, this response is fine, if that's all you're doing. However, if you're digging through a pile of clothes, and an associate asks if they can help you, or if they can get you a size, don't lie. Often they are doing that so as to preserve the stack you're digging though so they won't have to refold the whole thing. If you are digging through a pile of clothes and give me the reply, "Just looking!" I'm likely to reply with, "Well the shirts on the bottom look just like the ones on top." *straight face*


These are just a few pointers for when you are out shopping to make your experience that much more pleasant!

No comments:

Post a Comment